How to make an original music track simply by using the internet
‘Browser Music’ is a performance concept using free web applications and readily available sounds from the internet. This is a documentation of the project. And maybe it could serve as a recipe for you, to cook up your own stuff. You can try this at home.
Writing this, I’m at the stage of planing the performance and refining the concept. I chose to use Medium’s draft state as a basic note taking tool, to keep everything online and as close to the moment of publication as possible. Like a working prototype, turning into a final work, instantaneously, in the moment of it’s making.
The current version is made especially for PechaKucha Night Cph #30, November 26 2014 in Copenhagen. The video below is a recorded try out of this perfomance.
2. Go to http://wavepot.com/
Choose Modules > Filters > Moog ladder filter
At ”var G = g / (2 + g);”
Set 2 to 8.
3. Go to http://www.isleoftune.com/
Add 4 road pieces
Plant 2 trees along the road
Add two lamp post in the other end
4. On Isle of Tunes
Crank up volume
5. Go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwTz7l0hd2M
Play Graham Bells’ voice recording
Turn down a bit
6. Go to Wavepot tab
set to 16
7. Go to http://tonematrix.audiotool.com/
Add 3–5 dots, line 5
8. Go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIAZWb9_si4
play Voyagers recording from Interstellar space.
Go to Graham Bell tab
9. Go to https://translate.google.com/#en/ja/PechaKucha%20is%20fun
Change Japanese to Danish
10. Go to Voyager tab, and replay.
11. Go to http://labs.dinahmoe.com/plink
Create name: yoyo
Play the two lowest lines (Drum and snare)
12. Stay in Plink
Pick Navy blue
Play scale from top
13. Go to Voyager tab, and replay.
14. Go to http://www.patatap.com/
A + L + K (+J)
15. Back to ToneMatrix
Back to Patatap
16. Go to http://dialekt.ku.dk/dialekter/lyt_til_dialekt/#vestj
Turn down Graham Bell.
17. Start closing tabs, from the right
Go to Wavepot
set to 4.
18. Close all tabs, from right.
21. Back to this screen.
20. Thank You.
A screen cast with sound of the performance try out.
Some Instagram videos of the the perfomance at PechaKucha Night CPH.
Some other free music ressources I have considered using.
808 Cube is a Chrome experiment that combines the Roland 808 drum machine with the Rubik's Cube.
Play with this drum machine to explore and create new rhythms. Adjust Tempo, Shuffle, Echo etc.
BallDroppings instructions: Turn your sound up. Draw lines on the black screen to bounce the balls. Enjoy the music.
Stuff from https://pasquale.keezy.co
And a local advertisement. 3 Monday nights, early 2015 I’m co-hosting #HackBeatCph about hacking music and the way its played, with some great people in Copenhagen.